Saturday, September 24, 2016

We bought a house!

The lease of our apartment was up on the 23 of September, and our baby's due date is October 5th, just a little less than two weeks later, so naturally we decided to tempt the real estate gods and started looking for houses in August. 

After seeing around 10-15 houses, we found one that we both just really liked- nice neighborhood, just enough space, garage (hallelujah), and a great backyard. We had an awesome real estate agent and a great mortgage broker that made the whole process feel so easy. 

We officially closed on September 20, 2016 and that's when the real fun began. We had until the 23 to move everything out of the apartment. Stephen still had to work all day, and I was (and am) very, very pregnant- so not too great at moving things. Enter John and Lucina to save the day. They came on Wednesday and worked non-stop from the moment they arrived to the moment they left. They packed up boxes, took carload after carload to the new house, and even cleaned the apartment! I don't know what we would have done without them, but I am SO SO thankful that they were there. I married into the best family!

On Friday night we had a couple friends and the missionaries in our ward come over and help us pack up our rented Uhaul with all of our big items. 

*Relevant side side story: Back in December my car was having all sorts of transmission issues, so I had to rent a car to get me to work while it was in the shop. The day before I was set to return the rental car I was two minutes away from our apartment when a rock hit the windshield and left a huge crack. We, of course, had not gotten any insurance on the car and it ended up being a little under $500 in damage (boo.) (There's a happy ending to this story though because after months of sending paperwork back and forth our credit card company ended up reimbursing us for the damage repairs! Yay!)

*Side Story: Stephen and I went to pick up the rented Uhaul together. He took the truck home while I went to run some errands. I was worried about him driving that huge thing all by myself so I told him to let me know when he made it back safely. He called after a few minutes and said, "You're not going to believe what happened," (never a good start to a conversation about driving a Uhaul). He continued, "I had been driving about two minutes when a rock hit the windshield and chipped it." I waited for the just kidding part, but it never came because that actually is what happened. We should not be allowed to rent things any more, or we should learn that sometimes just buying the stupid insurance is worth it (though I'm sure that if we had bought the insurance nothing would have happened because that's how life goes sometimes haha.) 

Of course I didn't think to take any pictures of our apartment when it was actually being lived in, but here are some of it after we cleaned it out. La Costa was good to us, but boy are we excited to not have to take those stairs every day!

front room/ kitchen

Master and bathroom

guest room

This pregnancy has really been so easy on me. I feel really really lucky. But during the move I saw the ugly side to pregnancy, and it came in the form of Shamu ankles. The only reason I don't have cankles is because my calves are already abnormally large.

This picture will forever make me grateful for my regular large man feet and ankles.  Assuming they ever go back to normal, that is.

We love our new house and we love our baby girl for being so obedient and waiting until after we had moved and dad had hit his year mark at work to come.But now that that's all over, any day now would be great...

No comments:

Post a Comment